Monday, March 15, 2004

I got pulled over by a cop for the first time. Saturday afternoon, Brian and I decided to go shopping. As we're driving down Oxford, a cop pulls up behind me. Going speed limit as I don't want to get a speeding ticket, the cop switches into the lane on our right. Thinking that he was just going to pass (as they always do because they think we're going too slow at speed limit), I didn't really put much more thought into it. As I was looking in my rear view mirror, I see him slowly inch up and then suddenly switch back into my lane behind me. Then he proceeds to turn on his lights and pull me over. What the hell?!
"How are you today, madam?" I've been better, asshole. How good of a day could it possibly be when you just pulled me over? Dumbass. Anyhow, he proceeds to ask for my registration and my proof of insurance. When he looks at them, he says, "Your proof of insurance is expired. Do you have the new one?" Dammit, mother! Sigh. "No, officer. As you can see, it expired barely a month ago and I haven't received the new one yet." Sigh. Then, to Brian: "I noticed that you weren't wearing your seat belt." Damn, damn, damn. What a lame reason to pull someone over! Anyhow, it takes him forever and a day to issue the tickets (yes, plural) and we're getting more annoyed by the second. If you're going to give us a ticket, at least hurry it up because we've got places to be.
Anyhow, it's so stupid. It's a $20 fine and not even worth it. Whatever. Brian was really annoyed. "He just spent the last fifteen minutes giving us a ticket! Doesn't he have anything better to do?! Where the hell was he when Holly's car window got smashed in? Giving someone else a stupid seat belt infraction ticket? Dammit." And I totally agree. I mean, what's with this stupid law. I understand that it's designed to protect our own lives, but who gives them the right to tell us how we should protect ourselves? It's not like we're putting anyone else in danger. I understand speeding tickets as that counts as "reckless driving" and really DOES put others in danger. But this is just stupid! As Brian was saying, "It's like out-lawing sky diving or bungee jumping. I mean, those things endanger our lives. What the hell is that?!"
In any case, it's not really that big of a deal. It's just annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment