Thursday, September 25, 2003

As a full-fledged American citizen, I have yet to register to vote. I get the impression that people look down on me for that. "It's a privilege to be living in a democratic society in which you have a say in what goes on." Yes, yes. I get the point. Americans are spoiled because we have a so-called democratic bureaucracy. Well, if votes are so important, how is it that we give the "privilege" of voiting to idiotic, ignorant people? Here is a snippet of a conversation I had with one of these types:
Person: "I hate Republicans. All they care about is taking care of the rich. I'm voting for everything/everyone that is Democrat."
Me: "Uh... do you even know their platforms? Do you even know what half these propositions are about?"
Person: "No. But I'm going to vote anyway because my vote counts and I don't want Republicans to win."
Me: "Uh... all right. You do that."
Person: "Come on. Let's go."
Me: "I'm not registered."
Person: "Why not? There are SO many people who don't get that privilege and you're letting it go to waste? Don't you want a say it what happens?"
Me: "Well, sure. It's a privilege. But I'm not about to make a stupid vote. I'm ill prepared to vote: I don't know the propositions nor the candidates' stands on issues. I'm not about to make a random vote like that. If I had the time, I'd research it all and then I can make an educated decision."
Person: "Whatever. I hate Republicans."
Right. If you're going to argue with me, at least have some kind of argument ready. In any case, after watching the gubernatorial debate last night, I realized how screwed California is. You've got candidates saying that "people leaving California for better jobs in Arizona and Nevada" is just an illusion. Wishful thinking or incomplete knowledge? Then you've got candidates wanting to attack the Bush Administration. News flash. They are in New Hampshire; we are in California. There's gotta be a good 30 states between here and there. Right... Then you've got outirght personal attacks coming from all the candidates about each other smack in the middle of what is supposed to be an educated debate to sway people to your side. Sorry to say, but those petty fights make asses out of those candidates when they should be discussing real issues.
We're doomed. I guess it's time to pack up and move to Arizona or Nevada. Oh, no. Wait. That was an illusion, wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment