Thursday, August 13, 2009

Last weekend, I went to see Funny People starring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen. I had heard some lackluster reviews about the movie, but I still felt like I should see it just on the sheer principle that I work in the comedy entertainment industry. I found it to be a fairly accurate description of a comedian's life so I couldn't quite understand why people didn't enjoy this movie. A friend of mine, who also happens to be a comedian, once told me that "nobody gives a shit about comics; we might as well be the scum of the Earth." So I thought that maybe he was right and people didn't take to the movie because they just didn't care enough about comedians. Then I realized the truth:

It's not that people don't care about the inside workings of a comedian's life - they really just do not want to see the truth about life in the entertainment industry (aka Hollywood).


People prefer their visions of glamour than to see the ugly truth. Consequently, when TMZ reports that the hottest Hollywood star(let) has fallen off the "pedestal," people can gasp and judge the indecency of it all.

I had gone to see the movie with a girl friend of mine who seemed to take great offense to the portrayal of women. She was shocked that I didn't feel the same way.

"Aren't you offended?! They make it seem like women will throw themselves at a man just because he's famous!"

I was taken aback that she didn't already know this and accept this as fact. Perhaps it is the time that I have spent working in Hollywood and watching the comings and goings of certain people in the lime light that has made me jaded. I've witnessed women shamelessly whore themselves to male celebrities. Sad, but true. I do believe that it happens commonly enough such that these male celebrities assume that they can have any woman they want. Also sad, but true.

This is the fucked up town I live and work in. ...And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment