Monday, March 15, 2010

"You're young and high maintenance."

By most standards, I'm neither of these. Perhaps relatively speaking, I could be both.

I will first start with the age issue because that is more clearly defined. I'm heading for "late twenties." I wouldn't call that young. If you're older than me, that makes me younger than you.

Now on to the main point. What exactly does it mean to be high maintenance? According to Urban Dictionary, the top two definitions are as follows:

1. Requiring a lot of attention. When describing a person, high maintenance usually means that the individual is emotionally needy or prone to over-dramatizing a situation to gain attention.

2. A person who has expensive taste (re: clothing, restaurants, etc.). This person is never comfortable because he/she is constantly concerned about his/her appearance. This person feels they are better than most people and usually judge others based on outward appearances.

Let's break it down from the beginning, one point at a time.

  • Requiring a lot of attention
    You can say this about a lot of things: babies, pets, antique cars. Does that make these things also high maintenance? Sure, I can see that. I can also see why this might prevent some people from investing in such things. My take on it is that if something doesn't require a lot of your attention, it probably isn't worthwhile, especially if you're unwilling to give it the attention.

  • Emotionally needy
    This one is a little vague because it's really subjective and unique for different people. Where is the line between normal and needy? Expecting to speak with your significant other on a daily basis, a need to spend time with a person at least a few times a week, constantly calling/texting/emailing - some things are clearly needy while others lay in the murky gray area. It really depends how an individual defines it.

  • Over-dramatizes situations to gain attention
    I didn't realize attention whores were the same as people who are high maintenance. Enough said.

  • Expensive taste (clothing, restaurants, etc.)
    Who doesn't like nice things? I guarantee you that any female, if given the chance, would not willingly turn down a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes. NOT ONE. That doesn't necessarily mean they are all high maintenance. All it really shows is that women like nice things, especially those associated to labels. It also does not mean that she will only purchase branded items. ...and if, in fact, she will only be satiated by expensive things, then by all means, stamp her as high maintenance; I will approve.

  • Always uncomfortable because s/he is concerned about his/her appearance
    Do you really know somebody that is like this? Can't have a good time and is always uncomfortable because s/he is worried about how s/he looks? Seriously? This one is too easy. Figure it out yourself. *shaking my head*

  • Thinks s/he is better than most
    This isn't high maintenance. This is a superiority complex. Just going by the definition, folks.

  • Judges others by their physical appearance
    This reminds me of the age-old adage: "Don't judge a book by its cover." We all do it. Come on. You're telling me that you've never been attracted to a magazine at the grocery store checkout based on its cover? I bet you can't deny it. Humans are visual creatures. Looks and appeal are what you first notice across the bar. It's what prompts you to "make a move." Granted, you make judgments based on the entire package including what's on the "inside." Regardless if you do or don't, judging someone by physical appearance alone makes you shallow, not high maintenance. Again, just going by the definition.

My final take on this is that while yes, some may consider me to possess several of these characteristics, I think very few people who actually know me would categorize me as high maintenance. Truthfully, I *AM* high maintenance. However, I don't require the "maintenance" from anyone else but myself. I treat myself with the utmost respect, I buy myself nice things, I attempt to look good for myself. While it's nice to receive these things from someone else, I am not dependent on it. So go ahead. Call me high maintenance.

You can also call me young, too, if you can call yourself old.

1 comment: