Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I have been obsessed with anime lately. It's like I went on a total anime binge, but it's lasting longer than is normal; it's extending into a third series.
I'm currently watching NANA. I think this might be the best one yet. THIS is how drama is done. The manga creator, Ai Yazawa, is pure genius. It's a story about two girls who happen to meet on a train to Tokyo. Although they share the same name (Nana), they are as different as night and day. Nana Osaki is the lead vocalist in a punk band on her way to earn her fame in Tokyo. Nana Komatsu is the girly-girl from next door who is looking for love and happiness. Circumstances cause the two to start renting an apartment together. The series chronicles their lives, development of friendship, love, and individualism.
While the other series I have been watching have been all about cute, innocent, first loves of kids in high school, this one is more about the characters blossoming into adulthood and maturity. There is a scene where Hachi (as Nana Komatsu is nicknamed) realizes that loving someone is not about looking out for oneself and only concerning yourself of your own feelings: it is, in fact, about compromise and looking out for the other person's, as well as the couple's, best interest. I think this is a huge step for anyone to take. I admit that I did spend a lot of time in several different relationships concentrating on how happy or how sad so-and-so made me. I was always missing the point -- "how happy was I making him?" It was always about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment