Friday, May 08, 2009

Last night, I went to hang out at Laugh Factory, only because I had nothing else to do. Well, let's be honest here. I really went because I wanted to see Godfrey, who was on the scheduled lineup. So I put on a sweater dress, leggings, and my fuck me boots. Come on, ladies, you know you have a pair in the closet as well.

In any case, Godfrey didn't end up making it to the show, but I did have an interesting encounter with another comedian, Bill Dawes. Upon seeing me, he says, "Tammy, you are one sexy bitch." Quickly followed by, "Well, I don't know about the bitch part... But you have a good sense of fashion."

Here's my question: Does a female need to be a bitch to be considered sexy? How did the phrase "sexy bitch" come to be the default as opposed to say, "Girl, you're sexy." Why must it be, "Girl, you're a sexy bitch"?

All over pop culture, the term "sexy", when referring to a woman, is also followed by the word "bitch". Let's look at the definition in Urban Dictionary:

Sexy bitch
Strong, independent, sexy, attractive woman who knows what she wants and how to get it.
Used by men, 'Sexy bitch' is not a derogatory term. A man who uses it is admitting that he is sexually attracted but probably not good enough for her; that he would feel vulnerable in her presence because he won't be able to control her. So there may be a tinge of resentment, especially when used by a woman to describe another because she cannot compete.


And we all know that men are attracted to bitches. So which is the qualifier? If you are a bitch, does that automatically make you sexy? Or is it if you are sexy, are you, therefore, a bitch?

Regardless, I didn't take offense to it, but that may be because I find Bill cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment